Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh or canned mushrooms
- 1 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 25 cracker)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium tomatoes, quartered
- In a skillet, saute garlic in 2 tablespoons butter for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until heated through. Remove from the heat. Add cracker crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper and remaining butter; mix well. Place tomatoes in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with the mushroom mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 181 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 21, 2015
I used Italian bread crumbs and I found the bread crumbs to be very tasty! I also made adjustments to this recipe by using a 14.5-oz. can of UNDRAINED DelMonte stewed tomatoes, UNDRAINED, the garlic clove which I CRUSHED, 4 Tbsp. melted margarine to conserve on my butter supply and divided as recipe states, 1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs, rather than 1 cup! I noticed that the mushroom mixture was more moist, using less crumbs, rather than using the entire 1 cup of crackers/crumbs! I omitted the parsley flakes since Italian bread crumbs have parsley flakes. I quartered the stewed tomatoes. I also used a 4-oz. can of mushroom stems/pieces, WELL DRAINED, the 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper! I also placed the tomatoes in a 1-qt. greased casserole dish, topped with the mushroom/crumb topping and baked on a baking sheet for 30 minutes at 400o F. to really make sure that the dish baked through! I tasted this dish and found it to be very tasty! The Parmesan cheese added to the topping is a great idea & sprinkling some grated Mozzarella cheese on top of the tomatoes also would give more of an Italian-style flavor to this dish!That was a really great idea, copper_eos! delowenstein
Aug 24, 2013
I tried this with Italian bread crumbs instead of crackers. It was tasty but the bread crumbs were too dry and crumbly. Next time I think I'd sprinkle some mozzarella on the tomatoes first, add some Parmesan to the topping making it a sort of Tomato Parmesan dish.
Jan 2, 2012
Great use of summer tomatoes. Will do again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.