Scalloped Squash and Apples
"This recipe is a tasty variation on traditional squash with brown sugar and butter," informs Jeanne Bunders of Wauzeka, Wisconsin. Orange juice and apple chunks lend a subtle sweetness to the pleasing side dish.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large apples, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, alternately layer squash and apples.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over squash and apples. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 161 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 228mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1 starch.
Originally published as Scalloped Squash and Apples in Light & Tasty February/March 2002