"This recipe is a tasty variation on traditional squash with brown sugar and butter," informs Jeanne Bunders of Wauzeka, Wisconsin. Orange juice and apple chunks lend a subtle sweetness to the pleasing side dish.
Recommended: 28 Apple Recipes to Make in a 13x9 Pan
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large apples, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, alternately layer squash and apples.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over squash and apples. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Scalloped Squash and Apples in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p7