I treat friends to this dish whenever I attend a potluck or gathering. The crumbled bacon on top is so appealing...and brings people back for seconds.—Patricia Bassler, Ellicott City, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender; set aside
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. water and spinach to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain well; transfer to a large bowl. Add 1-1/2 cups bread crumbs, milk, eggs, butter, salt, pepper and reserved onion.
- Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with the reserved bacon, then remaining crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.