- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 small onion, grated
- In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, parsley, salt, thyme and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Combine potatoes, ham and onion; place half in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the sauce; repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 65-75 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forScalloped Potatoes with Ham
"This was delicious. I skipped the thyme as I am not a fan. I also cut back on the onion as we are not onion lovers either. My daughter was not enthused but ended up having two helpings as did my son-in-law. I think it would feed more than 4. We have hearty appetites, and had plenty left over."
"Perfect the way it is. My husband said it was just like his mom made!"
"This dish is so very good. My daughter gifted me some Vasina Rossa Truffle & Salt that I used for the salt called for in the recipe. The added flavor was subtle but was very enjoyable."
"Good comfort food recipe. Only 4 stars because of the nutritional info. Recipe says 4 servings. There are about 9 cups of ingredients and nutritional info is for 1 cup?"
"I remembered my grandmother making this after a ham dinner around the holidays so I had to go for it and I don't even like to cook. It sure was a cross pleaser even with my picky granddaughters."
"This was fantastic."
"This recipe is my "go-to" when i want to make something that everyone will love. Every single person who I serve it to has seconds or thirds. I have to make two casseroles at a time, and those are gone in less than two days. Great way to use leftover ham! Definitely takes longer than 15 min to prep, since you have to peel and scallop the potatoes!"
"Delicious but it took longer to prep. Great way to use leftover ham."
"I tried this last night and it was good but mine came very liquidy not like the picture shows. I followed the ingredients but used whole milk instead of 2%. I had to drain some of the juice. Don't know why."
"Delicious !!!!!!!! So so good. I add 1cup sharp cheddar cheese and it is fabulous. easy to make too!"