- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, arrange half the potatoes, onion and green pepper in layers; cover with half of the sauce. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Melt remaining butter; combine with bread crumbs and sprinkle over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forScalloped Potatoes with Cheese
"Has anyone tried Durkee Onion rings instead of bread crumbs?"
"I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. I followed the ingredients however it ended up being VERY watery. Still great flavor but not creamy at all."
"I did quite a few additions, but used ths as a base. I added 1 tsp chicken base flavoring, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp tumeric and 1 tsp italian seasoning. I also didn't use the bread crumbs on top, or green peppers (didn't have) and added chopped ham that needed to be used up. I added shredded colby jack to each layer and baked for 55 minutes covered and uncovered for 15 min. Absolutely delicious!"
"This was very good. I will go to this recipe when I want to make scalloped potatoes."
"Double cheese layer and cook with recipe... don't use bread crumbs"
"Wonderful! Wonderful! The only difference I made was to forget the bread crumbs and butter for the top and added a can of cream style corn instead. Loved it - really creamy and delicious! Old fashioned taste."
"This was awful! Very dry and absolutely no flavor at all"
"I have several scalloped potato recipes that I use in rotation. They are a bit different from each other. I think this one is my personal favorite."
"Excellent, rich, creamy and delicious. You can't go wrong with these potatoes. And, they are so easy to make. Great sidedish!"