Scalloped Potatoes ‘n’ Ham
Because this potato dish comes out perfect every time, I often rely on it for casual entertaining. My guests are thrilled to sit down to a country-style supper.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked and sliced
- 1-1/2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- In a skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in half of the cheese until melted. Gently stir in potatoes and ham. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover and let stand until cheese melts.
- Microwave Directions: In a covered microwave-safe bowl, cook onion, green pepper; gradually stir in milk. Cook on medium for 2-3 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in half of the cheese; set aside. In a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe baking dish, layer half the potatoes, ham and cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and let stand until cheese melts.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 492 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1294mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Scalloped Potatoes 'n' Ham in Country Pork