Scalloped Potatoes Etc.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups peeled potatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 cup carrots, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 1 package sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- For sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk; cook until thickened. Set aside.
- In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, layer half of all vegetables and ham; cover with half of white sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle cheese over all. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 233 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Jul 9, 2014
My mom made this recipe throughout my childhood. Now as an adult, this is my go-to recipe for scalloped potatoes. So delicious! Worth every minute of prep time.
Aug 31, 2013
I am a TOH field editor and this is our favorite way to make scalloped potatoes!!! I have made these as our three sons were growing up. They do take alittle bit of prep time but are so worth it!!! They were a huge favorite for my father-in-law! And these potatoes reheat well!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.