Scalloped Potatoes Etc.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups peeled potatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 cup carrots, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 1 package sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- For sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk; cook until thickened. Set aside.
- In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, layer half of all vegetables and ham; cover with half of white sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle cheese over all. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 233 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 9, 2014
My mom made this recipe throughout my childhood. Now as an adult, this is my go-to recipe for scalloped potatoes. So delicious! Worth every minute of prep time.
Aug 31, 2013
I am a TOH field editor and this is our favorite way to make scalloped potatoes!!! I have made these as our three sons were growing up. They do take alittle bit of prep time but are so worth it!!! They were a huge favorite for my father-in-law! And these potatoes reheat well!!!