Scalloped Potatoes and Parsnips
Cheese makes any dish better, in my opinion, and this gooey, comforting potato and parsnip casserole is no exception. Even those who turn up their noses at vegetables will dig into this dish. —Corinna Platt, Bellingham, Washington
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place the potatoes, parsnips and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook leek in butter over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg until blended. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheeses, thyme and Worcestershire sauce just until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; stir into potato mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 507 calories, 38g fat (24g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.