Scalloped Potatoes ‘n’ Ham Casserole
- 3/4 cup powdered nondairy creamer
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix creamer and water until smooth. In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, onion, salt and paprika until smooth; gradually add creamer mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and ham; pour sauce over top. Bake, covered, 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5-10 minutes or until edges are bubbly and cheese is melted.
1-1/4 cups: 563 calories, 18g fat (12g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1166mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 21g protein.
Sep 2, 2016
Even my kids loved it who will not eat scalloped potatoes ever, Next time i will add cheese to the entire dish rather than just on top... From wisconsin we LOVE our cheese.
Apr 26, 2016
I used left over leg of lamb and it was awesome, about 4-4 1/2 cups. I cooked the potato mixture the first 40 min without the lamb meat and then I added it to finish up the cooking process. I didn't want the lamb to be over cooked and get dry and tough. If you like shepherd's pie this will be for you.
Mar 6, 2016
DELICIOUS! I diced a whole sweet onion and sauteed it in the butter before adding the flour and paprika to the pan. I also layered thin slices of ham between the potato layers instead of diced ham. I sprinkled sharp white cheddar over top, and served the casserole with steamed asparagus and hot biscuits! This meal will be a regular on my menu!
Jan 18, 2016
They were very good. I added 1/2 tsp pepper and it was perfect.
Jan 2, 2016
Made this for lunch today and it was yummy! I am lactose intolerant and this recipe uses non-dairy creamer instead of milk... we never missed the milk! DH can do dairy ok so the cheese put on the top at the end was only on half the pan. The cheese melts and browns but doesn't infiltrate the entire dish. That way he got his cheese and I got none. When I make it again I will do 3 to 4 cups of ham instead of two. We love the ham in this dish. BTW, we skipped the onion (DH can't handle it) and it was still fantastic.
Oct 29, 2015
Was delicious needed 4 cups ham though 2 wasn't enough.
Jan 5, 2015
great taste. Family gobbled it up
Aug 22, 2014
Family loved it!!!!! I cooked the sauce on stove as directed then placed everything in crock pot and cooked on high for about 4 hrs. Stirred in cheese about 10 min before serving. Next time going to use real onion instead of dried to try and add just a bit more zip.
Jun 11, 2014
The best scalloped potatoes I have every eaten. Very easy to make. I used heavy cream and milk and doubled the recipe. We had it for two meals, and then leftovers with scrambled eggs and smoked sausage a few days later. Will now become a staple!
Dec 31, 1969
My Family loved it. My daughter wanted to lick her plate clean! I added fresh onion and a little garlic. Took out the extra salt too. Once it sat and cooled a little bit it became thick and creamy. Perfect on a cool rainy night.