Scalloped Potatoes 'n' Ham Casserole Recipe
- 3/4 cup powdered nondairy creamer
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, combine creamer and water until smooth. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, onion, salt and paprika until smooth; gradually add creamer mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. In a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, combine the potatoes and ham. Pour sauce over the top.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake for 5-10 minutes or until edges are bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 563 calories, 18g fat (12g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1166mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Scalloped Potatoes 'n' Ham Casserole
"Even my kids loved it who will not eat scalloped potatoes ever, Next time i will add cheese to the entire dish rather than just on top... From wisconsin we LOVE our cheese."
"I used left over leg of lamb and it was awesome, about 4-4 1/2 cups. I cooked the potato mixture the first 40 min without the lamb meat and then I added it to finish up the cooking process. I didn't want the lamb to be over cooked and get dry and tough. If you like shepherd's pie this will be for you."
"DELICIOUS! I diced a whole sweet onion and sauteed it in the butter before adding the flour and paprika to the pan. I also layered thin slices of ham between the potato layers instead of diced ham. I sprinkled sharp white cheddar over top, and served the casserole with steamed asparagus and hot biscuits! This meal will be a regular on my menu!"
"They were very good. I added 1/2 tsp pepper and it was perfect."
"Made this for lunch today and it was yummy! I am lactose intolerant and this recipe uses non-dairy creamer instead of milk... we never missed the milk! DH can do dairy ok so the cheese put on the top at the end was only on half the pan. The cheese melts and browns but doesn't infiltrate the entire dish. That way he got his cheese and I got none. When I make it again I will do 3 to 4 cups of ham instead of two. We love the ham in this dish. BTW, we skipped the onion (DH can't handle it) and it was still fantastic."
"Was delicious needed 4 cups ham though 2 wasn't enough."
"great taste. Family gobbled it up"
"Family loved it!!!!! I cooked the sauce on stove as directed then placed everything in crock pot and cooked on high for about 4 hrs. Stirred in cheese about 10 min before serving. Next time going to use real onion instead of dried to try and add just a bit more zip."
"The best scalloped potatoes I have every eaten. Very easy to make. I used heavy cream and milk and doubled the recipe. We had it for two meals, and then leftovers with scrambled eggs and smoked sausage a few days later. Will now become a staple!"
"My Family loved it. My daughter wanted to lick her plate clean! I added fresh onion and a little garlic. Took out the extra salt too. Once it sat and cooled a little bit it became thick and creamy. Perfect on a cool rainy night."