- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 hot dogs, halved and sliced
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add parsley.
- Place half of the potatoes in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; top with half of the sauce. Arrange hot dogs over the sauce. Top with remaining potatoes and sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forScalloped Potatoes 'n' Franks
"This has become my standard scalloped potato recipe. However, I found the original to be way too salty for my tastes, so I reduced the salt to 1/2 tsp. I also use cubed ham and cheddar cheese instead of hot dogs and swiss."
"Hooray for hot dog bakes! I use at least 1/4 c of chopped onion, 5 to 6 ounces of swiss cheese, and 1 lb of hot dogs, only sliced (not halved). I use regular potatoes or red potatoes. -Lori in WI."