Scalloped Potato Skillet
“When we lived closer together, our family liked to get together for dinner,” recalls Barbara Heile of Fortuna, California. “Every Sunday we took turns with desserts, salads and main dishes. This is one of our favorites. Since it cooks in one pan, cleanup is a breeze.”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 bone-in fully cooked ham steak (1 pound)
- 3 cups refrigerated sliced potatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup frozen sliced carrots
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large skillet, melt butter and brown sugar. Cut ham into four serving-size portions; discard bone. Add ham to skillet; cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, combine the potatoes, soup, carrots, milk, water, onion and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Return ham to the pan; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 470 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 2206mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Ham & Potato Skillet in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.