Scalloped Potato Chili
Potatoes area unique addition to ordinary chili. My mom used to serve this when I was growing up. My husband loves spicy food, so I put the chili powder on the table for him to add more. - Sherry Hulva, Decatur, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 package (5-1/4 ounces) scalloped potatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, contents of potato package, mushrooms, water, salt and chili powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
If you're making Scalloped Potato Chili for a potluck, prepare it at home on the stove, then take it to the gathering in a slow cooker.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 223 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 762mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Scalloped Potato Chili in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book