Scalloped Portobello & Cauliflower
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets (about 7 cups)
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 1 in. of water and cauliflower in a 6-qt. stockpot; bring to a boil over high heat. Cook, covered, 7-10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine mushrooms and water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Drain mushrooms, reserving 1/3 cup cooking liquid.
- In same saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat until hot. Add shallots and drained mushrooms; cook and stir until shallots are tender and lightly browned. Stir in flour, salt and paprika until blended; gradually stir in cream and reserved mushroom liquid. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Place cauliflower in a greased 1-1/2-qt. or 11x7-in. baking dish; cover with mushroom sauce. Sprinkle with cheese, then bread crumbs. Dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 169 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
May 30, 2016
Quite a bit of work and long prep/cook time for not a lot of flavor.
May 27, 2015
This one is a keeper! I thought it could use a touch more seasoning for our taste, but that's an easy adjustment. What a great idea for a side dish, but I have to be honest, I could make a meal of it!
May 24, 2015
Very good flavor combinations. There was too much sauce for the amount of vegetables in the dish. Both cauliflower and mushrooms are going to shrink upon cooking the first time so almost 2 C. of sauce will have those veggies swimming! I also thought it needed some extra salt added. Time-consuming as well with numerous steps, although if the main course is simple and easy to prepare, this factor wouldn't bother me. I will make it again BUT will use less sauce, more salt, and have a very simple main course.
Mar 13, 2015
I've made this a few times and we all love it!
Feb 16, 2015
So delicious. Thank you. I learned from your recipe how to get the maximum delicious flavor from Portobello mushrooms by putting them in water and boiling them.
Feb 15, 2015
Oh my goodness, this is so delicious. I skipped the shallots. 1/4 cup of panko bread crumbs is not enough, I used a little over a 1/2 cup. Is great the second day, we didn't mind it as a leftover. This recipe is a keeper.
Feb 13, 2015
My vegetarian daughter loved the dish. I thought it was good and my husband and other daughter thought it was only OK. I added garlic and pepper and I used smoked paprika which my family loves. The recipe made much more than my family of 4 needed. If I make it again, I will probably cut the recipe in half.
Feb 11, 2015
Love this I'm hooked perfect for Lent does need a little garlic salt though. Better the second day.
Feb 3, 2015
Made this for the first time last night. Very good.
Jan 26, 2015
This was great!! I added some chopped garlic for extra flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.