Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place parsnips in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes. Drain.
- Place half of the parsnips in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper; sprinkle half over parsnips. Repeat layers.
- Pour cream over the top; sprinkle with bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 169 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 1, 2018
What a great recipe! I recently started growing my own parsnips and this is the perfect way to enjoy them! I will definitely be making this recipe again!
Jan 23, 2016
I made this recipe last night and it was very good. We had never had parsnips so did not know what to expect. They do have an interesting sweet flavor but with the cheese and bacon and cream, they were very good. How fun to try a new vegetable. I recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor.
Apr 3, 2014
This is delicious. DH says to make it again. Only thing i changed was the cheese, i used motzarella as that is all i had. Found this in Best of Country Cooking 2007, pg.85 for those that have the annual.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.