Scalloped Onions and Peas
With tasty peas and onions smothered in a creamy sauce, this irresistible side dish gets passed around until the bowl is empty. We especially like the crunch of the almonds. -Denise Goedeken, Platte Center, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 jars (15 ounces each) white onions, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in flour, mustard and salt; cook and stir until bubbly. Stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Gently stir in onions, peas and almonds. Pour into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and paprika. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 153 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Scalloped Onions and Peas in Taste of Home October/November 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.