Scalloped Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 14 slices day-old whole wheat bread, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1. In a skillet, saute onions, celery, green pepper, carrots and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl; add chicken, cheeses, mayonnaise and parsley. Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken mixture and remaining bread.
- 2. In a bowl, beat eggs; add milk, soup and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over casserole. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 each: 263 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Scalloped Chicken Casserole
"We really liked this recipe! We did make a few changes. We are not fond of mayo, so we used low-fat sour cream instead. We also did not have cheddar cheese, so we used all mozzarella instead. It was a bit more moist than we wanted. We will probably try a little less milk next time. Still, all-in-all, a great dinner. Even better, our four-year-old son liked it :)"