After my mother passed away, I found this recipe of hers. It's a crowd-pleasing side dish with a comforting sauce and a pretty, golden crumb topping.—Cheryl Holland, Ortonville, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 quarts milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 pounds carrots, diced and cooked
- 2-1/2 pounds shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir butter and flour until smooth and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and lemon juice; cook and stir until thickened. Add celery salt and pepper; mix well. Remove from heat.
- In four greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dishes, layer half the carrots, sauce, cheese and crackers. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 270 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Scalloped Carrots in Taste of Home December/January 1996
Aug 26, 2011
I was attracted to this recipe because it came from her mom and I love carrots. I made this for a potluck at work and got rave reviews. Just make sure you put it in a big enough dish (I didn't) or it will bubble and run over.