Savory Yeast Bread
Nothing is better than homemade bread on a cool day right out of the oven. It will be sure to have everyone sing its praises.—Evelyn Gebhardt, Kasilof, Alaska
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 recipe Sourdough Starter (recipe also in Recipe Finder)
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine the Sourdough Starter, milk powder, butter, sugar, salt, water and 2 cups flour. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Shape each into a round loaf. Heavily grease two baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place loaves on prepared pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes across tops of loaves.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Brush loaves with cold water. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 84 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Sourdough Bread in The Taste of Home Baking Book 2nd Edition