Savory Wheat and Grain Dressing
This dressing is a very aromatic side dish. It is great for the holidays either stuffed in a turkey or served on the side. —Peggy Fleming
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the onions, celery, apricots and raisins in sherry and butter for 2 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Stir in the rice, bulgur and barley; saute for 3 minutes. Add the broth, poultry seasoning, savory and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in parsley.
TEST KITCHEN TIP If you like, substitute dried apples and cranberries for the dried apricots and raisins.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 277 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Savory Wheat and Grain Dressing in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook