Savory Vegetable Beef Stew Recipe
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 small potatoes, quartered
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in salad dressing over medium heat. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Add the potatoes, carrots, green pepper and onion. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 308 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 824mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Savory Vegetable Beef Stew
"We weren't impressed by this recipe. To be fair, our expectations were high due to the rave reviews, but I probably won't make this again.One thing I did like was using Italian dressing to to brown the meat. It added a little zing and I liked the interesting flavor.Thanks for the recipe!"
"I was a little disappointed with this. I thoughtmy family would rave about it ,but just said it was good, no "gotta make again"comments"
"Fantastic recipe!! There aren't enough stars here to give this recipe the kudos it deserves. I made the stew with no changes, and my family LOVED it! I am actually throwing away my family recipe for stew, because it just cannot compete with this one. This stew is so rich and flavorful! Many thanks!!"
"I loved this recipe!!! It was hit at my last potluck. This was the first time I have ever made a stew. But I will be sure to make this one again. I did make some changes: I used 2 cups of beef broth instead of 2 cups water and beef granules. I also used a 300 gram bag of frozen veggies (for ease of prep)it had peas, carrots, corn and green beans instead of recipes carrots/green pepper. All the colors looked beautiful!! I served this potato dumplings -Yum- real comfort food!"