Savory Tomato Pie
I describe this dish as a quiche without cheese. It's great for luncheons, brunches or breakfasts. Don't skimp of the basil—it makes the pie!—Helen Marucci, Fergus, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, cook and stir over low heat until softened. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Line unbaked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, cream, salt, basil and pepper until smooth. Stir in the tomato mixture. Pour into pastry shell. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 246 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 622mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Savory Tomato Pie in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.