Savory Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 egg
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice (discarding remaining juice or save for another use). Set the juice and pineapple aside. In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 40 meatballs.
- In a nonstick skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Cut green peppers into chunks. Add broth, peppers and reserved pineapple to meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the vinegar, soy sauce and reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Add to meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts5 each: 456 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 755mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Sep 30, 2013
May 15, 2013
This is our favorite recipe.. Been making this for years. I add sliced onions to make it even yummier.
Mar 17, 2011
Our family loved this. I used one red pepper and one green pepper for color. We will definitely make it again.
Feb 26, 2011
I loved this dish! The sauce was so delicious. I can't wait to try a variation with chicken, although the meatballs were very flavorful.
Mar 10, 2010
this is a Great one to make and mt boys request it all the time!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.