Savory Surprise Buns
These golden-brown buns are sure to be a hit at your next holiday dinner. A flavorful alternative to butter, the creamy, garlicky filling perfectly complements the tender bread surrounding it. —Elizabeth Prestie, Preeceville, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 package (6-1/2 ounces) garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll each portion into a 9-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Cut into 3-in. squares.
- Place 2 teaspoons spreadable cheese in center of each square. Moisten corners with water; bring over center of filling and pinch corners tightly in center. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush tops with butter.
Editor's Note: You may freeze leftover buns in freezer bags. Thaw buns overnight in the refrigerator, then bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes to reheat.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 143 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.