Savory Steak Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, cayenne and pepper. Rub over both sides of steak. Brush with 1/4 cup vinaigrette.
- Place steak on a broiler pan. Broil 4 in. from heat 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender, about 10 minutes. Add remaining brown sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until onion is browned, 5-10 minutes.
- Cut steak across the grain into thin slices. In a large bowl, combine greens, cranberries, blue cheese, onion and beef. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 407 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1200mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Oct 21, 2014
Delicious main dish salad. I substituted feta for the blue cheese and marinated the steak in the dry rub and vinaigrette overnight. I also plated individual portions rather than toss it all together and I made one portion vegan for my niece with no cheese and vegan "meat" slices.
Jan 2, 2012
Very easy and very tasty.
Jun 15, 2009
One of my favorites!