Savory Steak Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, cayenne and pepper. Rub over both sides of steak. Brush with 1/4 cup vinaigrette.
- Place steak on a broiler pan. Broil 4 in. from heat 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender, about 10 minutes. Add remaining brown sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until onion is browned, 5-10 minutes.
- Cut steak across the grain into thin slices. In a large bowl, combine greens, cranberries, blue cheese, onion and beef. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 407 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1200mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 21, 2014
Delicious main dish salad. I substituted feta for the blue cheese and marinated the steak in the dry rub and vinaigrette overnight. I also plated individual portions rather than toss it all together and I made one portion vegan for my niece with no cheese and vegan "meat" slices.
Jan 2, 2012
Very easy and very tasty.
Jun 15, 2009
One of my favorites!