Savory Sausage Scones
Some say these are like breakfast casserole in a scone. Everyone loves the different combination of lemon and dill and they go great with scrambled eggs. —Mary Marlowe Leverette, Columbia, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk milk and egg; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in sausage.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges, but do not separate. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Savory Sausage Scones in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013