Savory Sausage Penne Supper
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place the tomato sauce, red peppers, onion, oil, garlic, vinegar, sugar, Italian seasoning, coriander, fennel seed and garlic salt in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and basil.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 480 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 959mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Sep 2, 2013
Seemed like too much pasta for the amount of sauce, but it was very good.
Oct 11, 2012
Just made this last week. Have passed the recipe on to several other people looking for delicious but quick dinner ideas. We loved it. I have made again this week and have noticed, though, that different brands of italian sausage result in different in differing end flavor. And I also felt that this would be something I would be served in a nice Italian restaurant. I would definitely serve this to company, knowing it would be delicious.
Oct 7, 2012
not enough sauce, but mix of sausage & onion flavors is classically delicious
Oct 24, 2011
This recipe is delicious, but my favorite thing about it is how quickly it comes together and that there is no chopping of ingredients! This recipe is in our family's regular rotation since I discovered it.
May 19, 2011
This recipe was quick and easy enough for a weeknight, and nutritious to boot (red peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc.)! The flavor is strong and savory (like the title promises), and my children managed to eat it without major complaint, so that's a winner in my book.
Feb 13, 2011
Sauce was quick and easy to make. This dish tasted like something I would get at an Italian eatery. Will make again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.