Savory Sausage and Peppers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 each medium sweet red pepper, sweet yellow pepper and green pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into small wedges
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (1.2 ounces) herb and garlic soup mix
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown sausage in oil over medium-high heat. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. In the drippings, saute peppers and onion until crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the water and contents of one soup mix envelope (save the second envelope for another use). Add soup mixture, hot pepper sauce and sausage to the vegetables. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 444 calories, 34g fat (9g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1575mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Sep 12, 2015
Delicioius! I too could not find herb and garlic soup mix. It came out just as good pulling a few things from the spice cabinet and adding a little beef bouillon. I set some of the peppers and sausage aside without the seasoning for my picky 5 yr. old and it was just as good without the seasoning. The olive oil and sausage really enhanced the flavors of the peppers. Thank you for a great recipe to help use up a surplus of german sausage we had in the freezer and the bountiful garden we had this summer.
Jun 22, 2014
This was very good and full of flavor. Will definitely make again
Sep 3, 2011
My husband loves this recipe. They only thing I change is I use brown rice instead of white rice.
Nov 13, 2008
I found it in a box similar to Lipton's onion soup box. I think the brand I found was Knorr.
Sep 11, 2008
This recipe was great, but please let me know where you can get a pkg (1.2oz) herb & garlic soup mix. I could not find it in the grocery store. I used a pkg of onion soup mix instead and added some crushed garlic.