Savory Salami Strata
The mild Italian flavor makes this dish a great choice for a brunch. I served it at my daughter's First Communion celebration. The wonderful aroma greeted guests as they came in the house.—Peggy Nelson, Webster, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + standing
- Butter, softened
- 16 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 8 slices salami or pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place eight slices buttered side up in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Set aside 1 tablespoon each of the tomato and green pepper. Layer with salami, cheese, remaining tomato and green pepper. Top with remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, basil, salt and Italian seasoning. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with reserved tomatoes and green pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 294 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 203mg cholesterol, 653mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Savory Salami Strata in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.