Savory Salami Strata
The mild Italian flavor makes this dish a great choice for a brunch. I served it at my daughter's First Communion celebration. The wonderful aroma greeted guests as they came in the house.—Peggy Nelson, Webster, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + standing
- Butter, softened
- 16 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 8 slices salami or pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place eight slices buttered side up in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Set aside 1 tablespoon each of the tomato and green pepper. Layer with salami, cheese, remaining tomato and green pepper. Top with remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, basil, salt and Italian seasoning. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with reserved tomatoes and green pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.