Savory Pork Turnovers
Apples, potatoes, ground pork and seasonings tucked inside flaky golden pastry never fail to win praise from my family at home and friends at church functions. The assembly requires a bit of effort, but these impressive little turnovers are worth it. -Ruby Carves, Litchfield, Maine
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup cold butter
- 12 to 18 tablespoons cold water
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cooked cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; cut in the shortening and butter until crumbly. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown pork until no longer pink; drain. Add butter and onion; saute until onion is tender. Add potatoes, apples, flour, sugar, sage, pepper and salt; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, on a heavily floured surface, roll pastry to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 3-1/2-in. circles.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons filling on each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough in half. Seal edges with fingers or a fork. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Beat egg yolks and water; brush over turnovers. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 376 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Savory Pork Turnovers in Taste of Home October/November 1998