Savory Pepper Steak
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth, divided
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless round steak, cut into strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 medium green peppers, julienned
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup broth, soy sauce, ginger, sugar and pepper; set aside.
- In a skillet or wok over medium-high heat, brown beef and garlic in oil. Add peppers and tomatoes. Cook and stir until peppers are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Stir the soy sauce mixture and add to pan. Cover and cook until the meat is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch with the remaining broth until smooth; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 213 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 618mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Sep 12, 2014
This was one of my favorite stir fry recipes on this site. It tasted just like the pepper steak at my favorite Chinese restaurant. I made a couple of changes: I added two large white onions to the mix and substituted the cornstarch for 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of flour.
Nov 6, 2013
I substituted 2 onions for the tomatoes. Tasty.
Dec 26, 2012
I made half the recipe, so 1/8 cup of soy sauce was not as flavorful as the full amount. I omitted the sugar as that would make the sauce stick to the pan. My son hates tomatoes so they didn't appear in the finished dish.
Feb 18, 2010
I marinated the strips of steak in the first 5 ingredients except I used low salt soy sauce. I quartered the tomatoes since a family member didn't like tomatoes & this may it easy for her to omit the tomatoes but still received the benefits of their flavor. When I make it again, I will add quartered onions to give it an enhanced flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.