Savory Oven-Fried Chicken
You won't believe how moist this chicken is. It has a nicely seasoned crumb crust that bakes up to a golden color. It's tasty, healthy and easy.—Ranee Bullard, Evans, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Bake: 50 min.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (12 ounces each), skin removed
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the buttermilk, mustard, garlic and pepper sauce. Add the chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and discard marinade.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, paprika, baking powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Add chicken, one at a time, and shake to coat.
- Place chicken bone side down on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Spritz chicken with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast: 355 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 153mg cholesterol, 394mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 58g protein.
Originally published as Best Ever Healthy Oven Fried Chicken in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.