You won't believe how moist this chicken is. It has a nicely seasoned crumb crust that bakes up to a golden color. It's tasty, healthy and easy.—Ranee Bullard, Evans, Georgia
Recommended: How to Cook Chicken: 10 Essential Methods
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (12 ounces each), skin removed
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the buttermilk, mustard, garlic and pepper sauce. Add the chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and discard marinade.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, paprika, baking powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Add chicken, one at a time, and shake to coat.
- Place chicken bone side down on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Spritz chicken with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Savory Oven-Fried Chicken in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p145