Savory Onions and Spinach
This delicious mixture of onions and spinach— draped in a rich Parmesan cream sauce— looks as festive as it tastes.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen pearl onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook onions according to package directions; drain well and set aside.
- In a saucepan, saute garlic in 2 tablespoons butter for 1-2 minutes. Add spinach; cook and stir until spinach is wilted and liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and cream. Stir in the salt, pepper and reserved onions.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and remaining cheese; sprinkle over onion mixture. Dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Editor's Note: A 10-ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry, may be substituted for the fresh spinach.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 183 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Savory Onions and Spinach in Country Woman Christmas 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.