Savory Onion Cornbread
My corn bread is sweet and spicy, thanks to hot pepper sauce. Serve it with chili after caroling to warm everyone up!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside. In a bowl, combine egg, corn, milk and hot pepper sauce; stir in muffin mix just until moistened. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Combine sour cream, 1/2 cup cheese, salt, dill and sauteed onion; spoon over batter. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm.