Savory Onion Cornbread
My corn bread is sweet and spicy, thanks to hot pepper sauce. Serve it with chili after caroling to warm everyone up!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside. In a bowl, combine egg, corn, milk and hot pepper sauce; stir in muffin mix just until moistened. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Combine sour cream, 1/2 cup cheese, salt, dill and sauteed onion; spoon over batter. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 291 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 521mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Savory Onion Cornbread in Country Woman Christmas 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.