Savory Mushroom-Barley Soup
Fresh mushrooms and barley star in this tasty soup shared by Christine Wright of Franklinton, North Carolina. Onions, celery and carrots make it a hearty favorite throughout the year.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes10 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts)
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring water and barley to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until barley is partially cooked. (Do not drain.)
- Meanwhile, in a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onions and celery in oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, carrots, tomato paste and barley mixture.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 136 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 416mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Originally published as Savory Mushroom-Barley Soup in Light & Tasty June/July 2004
Oct 30, 2016
Awesome, tasty soup! One of my all time favorites. Very satisfying and healthy too. What's not to love?
Oct 18, 2010
It was good, but it got very thick as it stored and I had to add water when I wanted leftovers.