Savory Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 slices bread, crumbled
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf; place in an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, water, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat loaf. Bake at 325° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 267 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
May 25, 2015
Husband loved it! Left off topping and served with a brown gravey!
Mar 7, 2012
This is a family favorite.
Mar 20, 2010
This is incredible! It tastes like heavon and melts in your mouth. People are astonished when I tell them it is a low fat and low calorie dish. I have also modified it and added blue cheese crumbles within the meatloaf and a little in the sauce topping. YUM!! About 1/2 cup or so. I have also made meatballs with this recipe and doubled the sauce to put in a small crock pot. I cook the meatballs first, then place in a crockpot with the sauce to serve at a buffet or as an appetizer. EVERYONE asks me for the recipe, and no one can believe meatloaf could taste this good!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.