Savory Maple Bacon Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk and syrup. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in bacon.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 134 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 9, 2012
When I made the batter for these muffins it seemed a little runny, but I was sure I had followed the recipe accurately. They came out flat on top with some, fallen in the middle. They were not a big hit at our house.
Oct 9, 2009
I made these minus the bacon(!). They were VERY good, however the tops were flat, so IMO they would definitely be a "family" recipe, not one I would bake to give away.