Savory Lentil Vegetable Soup
Beverly Sterling of Gasport, New York recommends this hearty variation of lentil soup. "Curry and ginger give the broth zip and spinach and squash are tasty, nutritious additions," she says.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cider or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- In a large saucepan, saute squash in 1 teaspoon oil until crisp-tender. Remove and set aside. Add carrots, potato, onion, garlic and remaining oil to the pan. Cook and stir over low heat for 8-10 minutes. Stir in curry powder and ginger; cook for 1 minute. Add the broth, lentils, tomato paste, vinegar and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils and potatoes are tender. Add spinach and squash; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 236 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Lentil Vegetable Soup in Taste of Home June/July 1999
Oct 17, 2015
Hearty and delicious paired with biscuits or a crusty bread for a simple Fall meal. Easy to prepare; my husband had no problem putting it together before I came home for work.