Savory Lentil Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (1.7 ounces) vegetable soup mix
- 3/4 cup dry lentils
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- 1. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onion, celery and garlic in margarine until tender. Add water, tomatoes, soup mix, lentils, barley and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender. Add carrots; simmer 20-25 minutes longer or until the carrots are tender. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 125 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 405mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Savory Lentil Barley Soup
"I make this recipe during Great Lent. It's delicious! I've had many requests for the recipe and I'm always happy to share."
"hi,can this recipe be made into a crockpot recipe?how much rinsing of the dried beans do i have to do?diane"