"I get frequent requests from my family for this thick, full-flavored soup in the winter," reports Myrtle Brandt of Morris, Manitoba, "especially on -35° days, which are not uncommon here!"
Recommended: 40 Recipes for Vegetable Soup
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (1.7 ounces) vegetable soup mix
- 3/4 cup dry lentils
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onion, celery and garlic in margarine until tender. Add water, tomatoes, soup mix, lentils, barley and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender. Add carrots; simmer 20-25 minutes longer or until the carrots are tender. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Lentil Barley Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p17
Reviews forSavory Lentil Barley Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2012
"I make this recipe during Great Lent. It's delicious! I've had many requests for the recipe and I'm always happy to share."
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2009
"hi,can this recipe be made into a crockpot recipe?how much rinsing of the dried beans do i have to do?diane"