- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh chives
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh savory or 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute leeks and chives until tender. Stir in broth, mashed potatoes and savory; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, to allow flavors to blend, 8-10 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pan. Stir in cream, salt and pepper; heat through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
Reviews forSavory Leek Soup
"To make it healthy I cut the butter down to just enough to saute the leeks and use fat free half & half."