Savory Italian Sausage Strata
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (1 pound), cubed
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with mushrooms, onions and sausage.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, mustard and salt. Pour over top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. (Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly.) Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve immediately or before refrigerating and baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 414 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 242mg cholesterol, 824mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Dec 12, 2013
Looks delicious , can't wait to try it!
Apr 3, 2013
Made this delicious dish for Easter Breakfast and it was well received. I do suggest covering the dish after 1/2 hr. so the cheese doesn't brown too much although my company enjoyed the crisp melted cheese on top as well. I made this and froze it and then took it out of the freezer on Saturday. Didn't change a thing and would make it again and again!
Mar 27, 2013
Would be good with diced ham replacing sausage.
Mar 26, 2013
I make a very similar casserole but use peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp. Mine does not use mustard but I am sure it would be very good with it added. Delicious
Dec 9, 2012
I wanted to try this recipe; but, it took 5 pages of printing to get one complete copy of this. Something is wrong with your "print copy".....no more till this is fixed.
Mar 9, 2011
Good! I used turkey sausage and added italian seasoning to it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.