Savory Italian Sausage Strata
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (1 pound), cubed
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with mushrooms, onions and sausage.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, mustard and salt. Pour over top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. (Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly.) Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve immediately or before refrigerating and baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 414 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 242mg cholesterol, 824mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 12, 2013
Looks delicious , can't wait to try it!
Apr 3, 2013
Made this delicious dish for Easter Breakfast and it was well received. I do suggest covering the dish after 1/2 hr. so the cheese doesn't brown too much although my company enjoyed the crisp melted cheese on top as well. I made this and froze it and then took it out of the freezer on Saturday. Didn't change a thing and would make it again and again!
Mar 27, 2013
Would be good with diced ham replacing sausage.
Mar 26, 2013
I make a very similar casserole but use peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp. Mine does not use mustard but I am sure it would be very good with it added. Delicious
Dec 9, 2012
I wanted to try this recipe; but, it took 5 pages of printing to get one complete copy of this. Something is wrong with your "print copy".....no more till this is fixed.
Mar 9, 2011
Good! I used turkey sausage and added italian seasoning to it.