- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 10 to 12 Italian rolls or sandwich buns
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the basil, oregano and water; pour over roast. Sprinkle with soup mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; shred with two forks and keep warm. Strain broth and skim fat. Serve meat on rolls; use broth for dipping if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forSavory Italian Beef Sandwiches
"There were no leftovers in our family wish this dish! Everyone loved these! The only thing I altered was the broth. I didn't think the recipe called so enough liquid so I added a cup of beef stock."
"This is my sons favorite! I've made it so many times I can't count."
"It was very good the only thing I changed was I used a beef broth in place of the water."
"This is very similar to how I make my roast w/ carrots and potatoes. I also add a whole onion and use 2 or 3 bay leaves instead of the basil and oregano. Tastes great!"
"this was very good my Husband said the he wants me to make this again soon !"
"I've got my own version of these in the crock pot right now."
"Was very good, would not shred all the meat at once though would save what wasn't used 1st night and use in a stew for another night."