Savory Cornbread Dressing
Nothing gets the family hanging around like the aroma of this savory dressing baking alongside the turkey. Drizzled with hot gravy, it tastes even better than it smells.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes12 servings (9 cups)
- 2-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/4 cups chopped onions
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 7-1/2 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread
- 2-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 4 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/3 cups chicken broth
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onions in butter until tender; transfer to a large bowl. Add the cornbread, bread crumbs, sage and poultry seasoning. Combine eggs and broth; add to cornbread mixture, stirring gently to mix.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 165° and stuffing is lightly browned.
Editor's Note:To use this as a stuffing for poultry, substitute 1/2 cup egg substitute for the eggs. This is suitable to stuff a 12- to 14-pound turkey.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 277 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 683mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Turkey with Corn Bread Dressing in The Taste of Home Cookbook 1st edition