Savory Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup beer or additional chicken broth
- Croutons, crumbled cooked bacon and sliced green onions, optional
- 1. In a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Stir in the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and beer. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or until cheeses are melted. Top with croutons, bacon and green onions if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 259 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 1118mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Savory Cheese Soup
"My kids and I thought the flavor of this soup was very good. My husband said it was okay. I would like to try it again with a few changes. I would replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth as I think that would complement the flavors more. I would add in more vegetables or maybe even some cooked pasta to give more substance. Cauliflower would probably go well in this soup. We don't care for pepper so I used garlic powder instead, but in the end that taste was lost in the cream cheese even though I used less cream cheese than called for. The biggest problem I had was that the cream cheese did not want to completely melt although I followed exactly what the instructions said other than doubling the recipe. In the end, there were still small chunks of cream cheese floating in the soup. It tasted good, but did not look very appealing."