- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup beer or additional chicken broth
- Croutons, crumbled cooked bacon and sliced green onions, optional
- In a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Combine the flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended. Stir in beer or additional broth. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes or until heated through. Top with croutons, bacon and green onions if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forSavory Cheese Soup
"My kids and I thought the flavor of this soup was very good. My husband said it was okay. I would like to try it again with a few changes. I would replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth as I think that would complement the flavors more. I would add in more vegetables or maybe even some cooked pasta to give more substance. Cauliflower would probably go well in this soup. We don't care for pepper so I used garlic powder instead, but in the end that taste was lost in the cream cheese even though I used less cream cheese than called for. The biggest problem I had was that the cream cheese did not want to completely melt although I followed exactly what the instructions said other than doubling the recipe. In the end, there were still small chunks of cream cheese floating in the soup. It tasted good, but did not look very appealing."