VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 slices each wheat, rye and Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- Layer half of the bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with ham and 1 cup cheese. Top with remaining bread cubes. Combine the parsley, onion, basil and pepper; sprinkle over bread. In a bowl, beat the eggs and milk; pour over the top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Savory Cheddar Egg Bake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p160