Savory Butternut Squash
"The recipe for this tender and flavorful squash came from Russia," writes Natasha Kearns of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. "My mom used to make this colorful side dish often in summer. It's especially hearty when served over rice."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh oregano, basil and parsley or 1/4 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. In a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, combine the squash, tomatoes, carrots and seasonings. Stir in the onion mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until squash is tender. Serve over rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 84 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Originally published as Savory Butternut Squash in Quick Cooking September/October 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.